Natural History Museum of Utah, nhmu.utah.edu
See Utah dinosaurs, learn about native peoples, and enjoy eight other permanent exhibits. Open every day of the week (including Sunday).
- Ongoing, Maya, a special exhibition, is now open. Immerse yourself in the world of the ancient Maya, who had one of the most advanced civilizations in the ancient world. Open through May 27, 2019.
- Ongoing, $5 after 5 pm on Wednesdays.
Red Butte Garden, redbuttegarden.org
Visit the garden! Red Butte Garden and Arboretum consists of a botanical garden, arboretum, and amphitheatre. It is open year-round to the public.
- Nov. 3 to Dec. 18, Glass Art Show, The Glass Art Guild of Utah returns to Red Butte Garden for the 16th Annual stunning show of kiln work and blown glass. Large and small pieces including garden art, decorative boxes, plates, trays, bowls, sculptural works, and jewelry pieces will display the brilliant colors of this delightful medium. Items displayed will be available for sale.
Tower at Rice Eccles Stadium, stadium.utah.edu/about/tower
The Tower is a perfect place to host your next event with stunning views of Salt Lake City.
Tracy Aviary, tracyaviary.org
Fall is an amazing time to visit the Aviary.
- Dec. 5, Jan. 2, Feb. 6, $1 Winter Wednesdays
- Dec. 15, Christmas Bird Count for Birds and Little Chicks, The National Audubon Society’s Christmas Bird Count is the longest running citizen science project in the nation. Now, kids can get in on the fun and contribute data used to monitor and protect birds!
The region’s destination museum for global visual arts.
- Ongoing, salt 14: Yang Yongliang, now open. Yang Yongliang presents the ancient tradition of Chinese landscape painting (shanshui) through a twenty-first-century, photographic lens. Similar to painters of the near and far past, Yang creates landscapes to reflect his view of the world, yet his photographic interpretations offer a critique of a dire reality.
University Guest House and Conference Center www.universityguesthouse.com
Located in Historic Fort Douglas on the University of Utah campus, with 180 sleeping rooms and approximately 30,000 sq. ft. of unique meeting space.
- Ask for the “campus visitors rate” for your overnight visit to the Foothill Cultural District
- Now offering Millcreek Coffee, a local and family owned business
- Guest House expansion is underway! This won’t impact your stay.
Utah’s Hogle Zoo, hoglezoo.org
Home to animals from around the world, visit the Zoo this fall and winter.
- Nov. 30 to Dec. 31, Zoo Lights, ZooLights! will be brighter and more sparkling than ever as this festive, family-fun light event returns for its 12th anniversary year. Over 200 lighted animal and holiday-themed displays will glisten in the December night as you make your way throughout Zoo grounds. NEW this year: 10 life-size animal-shaped LANTERNS!
- See the new Red Pandas!
- Meet the new leopard cub.
- Baby zebra can be seen from 10 to noon daily.
- Visit the Zoo event calendar for details on all upcoming events.
This is the Place Heritage Park, www.thisistheplace.org
Immerse yourself in Utah’s heritage at this gem of the Foothill Cultural District.
- Nov. 28 to Dec. 1, Christkindlmarkt, Inspired by the world famous German Christmas markets, Christkindlmarkt SLC offers a unique holiday shopping and cultural experience this season.
- Dec. 7 to Dec. 22, Candlelight Christmas, It’s hard to describe the magic of Candlelight Christmas. We’d like you to experience it! The Village is decorated like a Currier & Ives card, and you’ll feel like you’ve taken a step back in time when you join us for this enchanting event.
Fort Douglas Military Museum, fortdouglas.org
The museum is open Tuesday to Saturday, noon to 5 p.m.